Positive Energy Activates Constant Elevation



~RZA~

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Two in Front of One and the Reset

I’ve totally ripped off Billy Blanks on this one…but darn…there’s something to be said for it. When I first started with longer runs….I applied two things to pulling me through.

The first is the RESET. This actually came from a friend who used to go into the bathroom after heavy drinking and hurl his guts out…and then come out to continue to drink the rest of the night. He used to get this look on his face…make some strange noises…and head to the bathroom. I don’t remember who started it….but we’d holler…’RESET’ when he’d do it…and it kinda stuck. My reset is a little more refined I like to think….but the idea is the same. At some point during the run…I’m just done…nothing left..no gas in the tank…at that point…I will say outloud..’reset, reset, reset.’….and kind of start over. Get rid of what I’ve already done…start fresh with what I still have to do. It works…most of the time.


The Two in Front of One comes from a very old Tae-bo video…and at the halfway mark…about 30 minutes into the workout…Billy goes into one of his tirades..and although I can’t exactly remember what the words are…the gist is…’take the second half of your workout and put it in front of the first…and see what happens.’ That has stuck with me for almost 10 years..those words..that thought. I've twisted it..and made it my own. When Vincent started running 2 miles in cross country. .. I’d wait for him…at the 1 mile mark…when he had 1 mile left to go…and yell ‘TWO IN FRONT OF ONE’ several times…telling him in ‘our’ way..to put the 2nd mile in front of the 1st mile..and see what happens. He knew what I meant…no one else did…but I’d explained it to him very clearly on our early morning runs…showed him that part of the video…..told him what I thought that man hollering on the TV screen meant…and gave V what I could because I couldn’t do it for him. And that boy took first place for his school in every single meet this year…and I like to think that Billy and I had something to do with it.


So much with running is mental…I truly wonder what the ‘split’ on that actually is with the physical. I use both of these ideas to this day….I guess everybody needs to find their ‘thing’…their button to push…their RESET…their own mental mojo….and I’m rambling now…
Time to let these sleeping pills work their magic….weight training tomorrow and Thursday I’m going to find my new running shoes!

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it funny how we can talk ourselves into doing more, pushing further, going faster? I loved the "reset" button, I think I will try it (and the 2 in front of 1) on my next long run for sure. Thanks!

    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to try that too...what a cool idea! I sort of play that game whenever I'm at the halfway mark. I say, ok, just do that again, once more! But the "reset" mentality seems fresher, perhaps more invigorating. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails