Positive Energy Activates Constant Elevation



~RZA~

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Barefoot Glass Encounters

So it was supposed to be an easy 10 mile run at below marathon goal pace….that soo didn’t happen. I really wonder what is up on these kind of runs. Is your head just not in the game? Is your body rebelling against what your mind says it has to do? Either way…this run just wasn’t happening. I made it 3.6 miles before I stopped in by my friends work..tucked my shoes under her car and took off barefoot to complete a very unimpressive 8 miles. Now those first 3.6 I did manage to keep below pace goal…but it was SUCH a struggle. I ran on some trails behind V’s highschool which reminds me that I have to take him back there and show him the ponds so he can get some fishing before it gets too cold.
I noticed several things on this run. Ditching the shoes brought almost an instant relief to the bonk. I stopped worrying about pace because I know I can’t hit it yet without shoes. I relaxed without even trying and just enjoyed this beautiful day…even knowing it would probably be one of the last.


I also had a first today. I stepped on a decent shard of glass. I thought I’d hit a pesky little rock that didn’t want to shake loose and after a few steps of it still bugging me…I stopped to brush it off and saw a shiny chunk of clear glass embedded in the bottom of my foot. But instead of pulling it out and it bleeding..I just picked it off….it had not even broke skin! I was completely blown away and I guess I must be doing something right because if I’d stepped on that a couple months ago my foot would have been a bloody mess. I really didn’t have any expectations with starting barefoot running….so I really haven’t thought much about the physical changes happening to me…but it is crazy how different they are already. The bottoms of my feet are not torn up and ugly..or even hard. I told Skip about it when I got home and likened it to pushing something into play dough except that it bounces back better. Good stuff.


I’ve also been thinking more and more about winter. I think I’m going to try and find some water socks to do my shorter runs in. I have a pair from Dragon Boat racing but they’re too small when I tried them with socks…so I need to try and find some still for sale this time of year. As for keeping my feet conditioned..I’ve read about gravel marching…and I think that’s going to be the way I have to go. I just don’t think I can do the treadmill. Why am I going to invest hundreds of dollars on something that I will dread going near? Doesn’t make sense.


Happy running folks..however you go about it!

1 comment:

  1. Yikes! I think my foot would have exploded into a bloody mess if I stepped on glass! Looks like your feet are definitely "conditioned" now. Hooray!!!! I'm thinking about asking for a pair of Vibrams for Christmas...start "barefoot" running for form and strengthening...
    Congrats on getting your miles in!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails