Positive Energy Activates Constant Elevation



~RZA~

Saturday, November 6, 2010

20 San Fran Miles

Where to begin? This was not a couples vacation per say. Skip was working every day and I was trolling around the city. Now this sounds like it wouldn’t be any fun for all involved but that’s just not how the two of us are made. We’re both very content on our own…and the only time we saw each other in San Francisco was in the evenings for dinner….and very relaxing sleep.



Monday


Much to my surprise the plane did not plummet into the earth as I am always certain it will. It was a smooth flight with no hassle on either end. Skip had flown in the night before and started at whatever it is he does on Monday morning so I shuttled from the airport and got to our hotel in the financial district in the early afternoon. As soon as I put my things away I hunted up the concierge and told him I needed a 5 mile route for that day and at least an 18 miler on Wednesday that included running the Golden Gate Bridge. This dude wasn’t a runner but was a wonderful help. Took out a map of the city and routed me a 5 miler for the evening and what he thought to be about a 15 miler for Wednesday..he was wrong. It was a beautiful evening and I kept my shoes on for the first mile…then took them off and had an extremely pleasant barefoot run along the bay side of the city. Tons of runners….tons of people…awesome.


Love these guys!

I went back to the hotel…showered, took a nap. We headed down to Fishermen’s Wharf and Pier 39 for dinner at the Crab House and were eating dinner when the Giants won the World Series. The town went absolute apeshit and it was a site to behold. We didn’t get tons of sleep that night due to the shenanigans of downtown and a town that had never won a series before…it was so cool.


Tuesday


Coit Tower

Lombard Street
 I got up whenever….knowing there would be no exercise that day…I never do shit the day before a long run. I grabbed a map and my bag and headed out to see what the tower that was straight out from our hotel room was all about. Let me just pause and say that I have the utmost respect for the people that live in this town. These hills are no joke people. I consider myself to be in pretty good shape and I was dying trying to hike some of these streets…..so the no exercise the day before a long run was kinda a bust…but I saw TONS of the city.


Skip and I did dinner at the Fog City Diner…rest…repeat. Do you see the trend here?


Wednesday


I packed up my not inconsiderable amount of shit that I was taking on my long run and headed out…map in hand…for my attempt at a 20 mile run for no other reason then to see if I could do it. This was not a run for time…staying in downtown and the elevation difference would see to that, but I was ok with it. People were already lining the streets at 8 in the morning for the parade that was coming later that day…the Giants were coming home from Texas and this was serious business. What did amuse me was the other runners I saw that morning and how they were dressed. It was in the low 60’s I’d say when I started out and I was in a tank top and shorts and quite comfortable. The other runners were in running tights, long sleeve tech shirts and hats….too funny.



I made my way through town to the opening of Golden Gate Park. They had the most lovely paths and sooo green everywhere. It was a perfect start and by the time I got through the park I already had 7miles in and was staring at the Pacific Ocean. Now I’m not sure exactly what the concierge saw when he looked at me but he must have mistaken me for a trail running enthusiast because the next TON of miles was crazy off road trails and hills like nobodys business. SUCKED BIG TIME…but the view made it easier. I just kept looking off at the Golden Gate and thinking….that’s what you came here to do lady..now get yer ass to it. And I did….about 14 miles in. The bridge is about 3.5 miles or so if you run it both ways so by the time I was off it I had pushing 18 miles done. If I’d continued the path dude gave me it would have been closer to 22 miles then the 20 I wanted…so I rerouted myself and finished the 20…the last mile or so being uphill.
Heading for the Golden Gate
Finally made it!


A Bridge with a view
20.10 miles….elevation gain 1,707 feet….4 hours 6 minutes and holy crap it was something.


Went back to the hotel…took a nap…went to dinner with Skips work people. Hit China Town…I was tall there…first place ever. Went to bed..very content and not very sore surprisingly.


Thursday


Got up at 5 AM god help me. Ground out 4 miles on the treadmill. Showered…got on an airplane and went home…hello Wisconsin.

So here's what I know this week. 

If I can run 20 miles in San Francisco I can run a marathon here...tomorrow if I had to.  Now I can relax till January when I start actual training.  I'll still keep my maintenance long run of 10 miles once a week until then.  I almost have my plan finalized in my head and need to get it down on paper before it leaves me.

I love California....but would never want to live there.

A treadmill will be a last resort with me..I HATE those things.

The people Skip works with are terribly impressed with him...rightfully so too.

I have a bit of a hard time knowing what to do with myself when I have nothing I HAVE to do.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful, relaxing weekend!

2 comments:

  1. I'm all caught up! I have so much less internet time at kohls.com these days, being holiday and all haha! But I'm so glad I hopped over here to recap your latest and greatest...I'm SO impressed. I mean words don't do it justice. You're absolutely amazing and incredibly inspirational. I have no idea where you find it, but can I bum some?? Haha! Well, keep up the freaking excellent work lady. I'm so proud of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew I have a ton to read.... Glad you had a wonderful time... Wishing the city was closer...
    xoxo
    KC

    ps you've officially lost your mind, coming in with the straight jacket, barefoot running?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails