Positive Energy Activates Constant Elevation



~RZA~

Friday, April 8, 2011

Thought on Half-Marathon Eve

I remember last year around this time…like probably this day to be exact…I was sitting here having a freakin litter of kittens because I was going to run my first half marathon tomorrow. Now I’m sitting here…eating grapes…thinking I need to pull out race stuff and wondering if my running shoes have lots of gunk on them. And I’m running the exact same race that my bloggybuddybroad Katie ran for HER first half last year…and we’re running some of this one together. What a difference a year makes. Love.That.Girl.



So both boys want to come with me. This is monumental for two reasons. 1. They are voluntarily asking to spend time with me. And 2. They are voluntarily waking up at like 6:30 in the morning to spend time with me. I love my boys…and am so completely proud of them for such completely different reasons that my heart comes into my throat and just kind of hangs out there when I give myself a minute to think about it. So I usually don’t. It would totally ruin my badass image to walk around looking like my eyes are about to float all the time.


They both have specific jobs for this race…besides staying out of trouble. V and I are doing a trial run for my marathon next month. I’m going to have him hop on with me at mile 10 or 11 and pace/drag me into the finish. And Dom wants to pace Lori in and show her his new shoes…and she better not read this tonight because it will ruin his surprise.


It was such a wonderful experience running the end of a race with Vincent that when I decided to do the marathon I recruited him to help me finish. I figure he’d be just the trick around mile 24 or so to get me to the finish line….especially if I’m having a rough day. And what a memory for him to have to be able to do that? To see the end result of all those hours..all those miles..that he knows I did. I want to teach these guys something about commitment….about saying you’re going to do something…and then putting your nose to the grind and getting it done. And about humility…there’s no ego in running….at least not for me. And most of all I want them to see me hang that medal around my father’s neck…and thank him….for helping me learn to walk so I could learn to run.


So that’s it…all I’ve got. See ya on the flipside of what I hope to be a 13.1 mile marathon pace run….started with friends…finished with family.


28 days

3 comments:

  1. Good luck! Sounds like the perfect plan :) Have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that last part...make me cry at work why don't you!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails