Positive Energy Activates Constant Elevation



~RZA~

Friday, October 8, 2010

1009 miles 21.5 Barefoot and the Pre-Marathon Plan

So during my long run yesterday…12 miles at marathon race pace..I hit my 1000 miles for 2010. This was not a specific goal that I had..but it is cool non the less. It was a fabulous run…all along Kenosha’s Lakefront much of it along the marathon path that I’ll run in May. Seventy degrees and sunny..what a perfect day! V’s team won the football game…they’re now 5 and 1 and Dom pr’d again at his cross country meet..although I wasn’t feeling too hot and didn’t make it to either. It was one of those really good days…the kind we all need more of.



So here is my revised pre-marathon plan. I’ve laid off the weights and am replacing it with sweaty weighted Tae Bo sessions. I really want to drop some weight before I start.


I’m going to start upping my long runs so when I start actual training…I’ll be reducing mileage at first. I know this sounds kind of strange..but those that went through my half training with me..know I do things a little differently. I would like to get one 20 miler in…or at least as close to it as I can manage. Before my half I was doing race distance for my long run one week..and 10 miles for my long run the next…and just alternated those for several months. The end result was a race that wasn’t necessarily a breeze….but it didn’t kill me…because I’d prepared to the best of my ability. I’d like my marathon training to be similar..and I think my body can hold up to those big long runs on a regular basis if I prepare it right. I have been basically doing ‘maintenance’ long run of at least 10 miles once a week for damn near a year…so there will be no base building…it’s already there. I’m going to do a 16 week but actually write in a couple of extra weeks in case I get sick or life just gets in the way of my buzinazz. I printed of 5 months worth of empty calendars at work today and am going to fill them in one of these days. I’ve looked over multiple plans and I’m just going to kind of take what I want from each of them and tweek it into my own. I don’t plan on ever running more then 4 days a week and my long run day will be Thursday s when I’m off. I’m going to try and make this as painless on the family as possible..although they are all crazy excited and super supportive…I am definitely blessed in that department. My marathon goal pace is 10:30 miles or less….I don’t know yet if that is realistic….but it is for 12 miles…what’s 14.2 more right?


I also booked my flight to San Francisco last night. I’m more than a little squirlly about this for several reasons. I have never flown without Skip..and I don’t really fly well even with him. I’m going to be doing this one solo both ways. He’s going out the day before and coming home the day after. It will be interesting….probably most interesting for the poor sap that will be stuck with me for 4 hours each way dealing with a crazy broad wacked out on as much Xanax as I can handle.


Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. First, from your last post...very cool about the barefoot running. I'm also thinking of getting a treadmill so I can do some barefoot running in the winter.

    Second, I look forward to hearing about your marathon plan...I'll be looking at plans soon and I'm not sure yet which one I'll use. I kind of like the idea of mixing it up, but I'm a little scared to screw up :)

    Have fun in SF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have faith Anne..you'll rock it no matter what way you go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think, with the speed you've built up - you'll definitely be able to maintain that pace (or at least close to it)!

    I have to say that I'm really enjoying my "lazy style" training with my GF though for our marathon in January. The goal - and this is truly a first for me - the ONLY goal is to finish. At whatever time. And so we've been taking our runs very slow (avg 12:45ish pace, with frequent walk breaks) compared to our normal paces (10:20ish or so). But it's been nice. And less stressful. And dare I say...enjoyable.

    So whatever pace is ENJOYABLE for you - do it. :) And know that no matter what - you're gonna totally ROCK THAT RACE.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails