Positive Energy Activates Constant Elevation



~RZA~

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Ice Baths and 14 Miles Below Marathon Pace

One thing I hate about doing my long run during the week is that it seems to take the whole day…even if it’s only a couple plus hours. Thursdays used to be my laundry, appointment, cleaning..and all the other bullshit day. Now it’s that plus a long run thrown in. But on the flip…I love not having to worry about it on the weekends.



So in going along with upping my mileage before I back off and start marathon training…I did 14 miles today below marathon goal pace. It was actually closer to 15 but I forgot to turn my Garmin on again after a bathroom stop and didn’t notice till about a mile later…whatever. It was an extremely good run..I didn’t bonk at all. It’s hard to keep that pace down so at mile 12 I did whatever I felt like and those final two miles were both sub-10’s. I don’t know if I’ll be able to hold the 10:30 or less for the whole 26.2..but that’s the plan. The plan also includes a 16 miler next week, an 18 the following, and a 20 miler the week I’m in San Francisco. Skip doesn’t think I can do a 20 mile run out there because of the hills…but I told him to get bent and watch me….HA! That will leave me the rest of November and all of December to do whatever….with actual marathon training starting January 1st of all days. I think having that 20 miler already under my belt will make my training that much less daunting. I was also reading in Runners World last night about doing speed training only in the final 6 to 10 weeks of your marathon plan…I liked that and am thinking that’s what I’ll do. My concentration will be my long runs and hopefully still getting in some barefoot miles.


Oh oh oh!! And I also took my first icebath today. It totally didn’t suck…which surprised me. I dumped 3 trays of icecubes in after I’d already run the coldest water in there…and sat my ass there for about 15 minutes. That was a couple hours ago and I don’t notice any real difference in recovery…but I’ll try it again I’m sure.


Dom’s final cross country meet is tonight and I can’t wait to watch him run. He is determined not to be last but I keep telling him that doesn’t matter…but at 13…it very much matters to him. So here’s hoping he can beat somebody….go Dom! After that we take off to watch V’s second to last football game of the season. Maybe he’ll get some more playing time tonight…he’s so sunk his teeth into this sport…and although I’d rather see him running free then taking a beating from someone twice his size..this is his choice and I have to honor that.


Does anyone else ice bath?  What's your verdict?

2 comments:

  1. Ice bath sweet!!! Those helped me, but I was always really sore the day after a long run. Maybe you don't have that problem so much. I like your training set up...it's really flexible. Probably pretty important to do it YOUR way so you feel the most confident about it. Like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've taken an ice bath a couple of times and I really felt that it help me recover more quickly! :)

    Good Luck Dom!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails