Positive Energy Activates Constant Elevation



~RZA~

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Rollin 18 Shod But Lovin My Barefoot Running

So I was a little bit daunted by the thought of the 16 miles I had on tap for this morning. Not sure why but there it is. I ran a 16.2 mile back in June so this distance wasn’t new.



But let me back up and start with my falling apart mouth. I have to have a tooth pulled next Tuesday so I figured that doing a full 18 miles like I’d planned next Thursday was out of the question…I’m only so rad you see. So on my way to the trail I decided that if I was feeling it…I would knock out the 18 miler this week and still try to hit that 20 out in San Fran.


I drove my car over to the start of the trail that I’ve been doing a lot of barefoot running on. I’d kind of figured out a 5 mile loop in the area using my car for my aide station. I planned to do three 5 mile loops and then do one mile down the trail. I brought my Nathan hand held with Heed in it, extra water, 1 Hammer Gel and 1 package of margarita flavored shot blocks…OMG were they good! I headed out and was feeling excellent from the very start. The sun was shining and it was in the low 40’s. The rail road tracks were being worked on on both sides of my 5 mile loop so I made friendly with the guys on both sides…they must have thought I was out of my damn fool mine after the first time they saw me…but it was cool….and I probably am. I took my gel the first time I got back to the car. Refilled my water, grabbed my shot blocks and headed out again. Holding my pace was easy for a change and the miles really flew by. I ended up doing the full 18 miles and felt fantastic.


So here’s what I learned..bullet style.


1. I beat my ½ marathon PR by 4 minutes on this run.


2. It took me 3 hours even to run 16 miles back in June, it took me 3 hours 3 minutes to run 18 miles today.


3. My pace was 10:11 minute miles…19 seconds per mile under my target marathon pace.


4. My fastest two miles were mile 17 and 18…I could have gone farther.


5. Margarita shot blocks are my new best friend.


6. I believe barefoot running is doing some amazing things to my shod running…and I mean amazing.


7. I loved looping and having my own aide station…so much easier then trying to carry everything with me.


8. I quite possibly am putting my dentists son through private school with all the money I give him.


So that’s it…my long run in a nutshell or so. Hopefully all two of you that read this are having a wonderful week. I really believe that about the barefoot running. I’m now up to 3.5 miles at a stretch without shoes. I do everything but my longrun at least mostly barefoot and it freakin ROCKS!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What a stellar long run you did! Yeah...I totally want to do at least one run a week barefoot (on my treadmill) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such good news. I think the barefoot running must be seriously helping!! It's nice to look forward to when I'm back in the game. My biggest problem with long distance was never my breathing or feeling tired per se, but my leg/foot pain and I know barefoot would totally fix that!! Anyway congrats on the distance, but more importantly feeling GOOD going the distance!! I haven't had too many of those in my short running career, so it's like a freaking pot of gold when you get there!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails