Positive Energy Activates Constant Elevation



~RZA~

Sunday, April 11, 2010

V's 5K Goal...and the Oval

So V has decided he’s going to go sub 20 minutes in this next race we’re doing. It was his first race two years ago….mine too. His best 5K to date was 22 minutes 24 seconds…and that was last summer. He ran cross country this fall and clocked some decent times on the 2.5 mile. So I told him that I’d get him there…or at least try and tweek out a program that would get him close. He can do the 3.1 miles already…he can hang with me for 5 or so miles before starting to complain and I had him out on a couple tempo runs the last few weeks. Today I introduced him to the oval….and 800 meter intervals. Using the McMillan Running Calculator and entered his desired time to run the 5K…and took him to the track this morning before going to meet up with the girls. We were able to find an open one at the nearby college with no one on it…and in we went. He needs to clock around 6.4 minute miles to do what he wants….so I jogged once around that track with him….and then we set the stopwatch…and I put my Garmin on him…man did he like that thing.


Anyways….he needs to be doing those 800 meters at around 3.2 minutes….preferably less…but that’s a good start. Today….first day on the track and first time sprinting…he was doing them at 3.15…and that was the 3rd one…LMAO….I don’t even remember what he did the first 2 repeats in. He has so much natural ability and is so beautiful to watch. I think he’ll hit his goal time. He’ll do a tempo run with me on Tuesday and I’ll take him to the track again Thursday evening. With only two weeks till the 5K there’s not much time….but I think he can get there. I feel bad…I should have been working with him more…but there just wasn’t time while preparing for my half…


So after his track workout…we headed to Lake Andrea to meet up with the girls. Just Traci and Amy today…and Amy’s little girl..who hung in there for 1.5 miles I might add. Two weeks ago we were running 4 minutes and walking 1…..but since I was in the mood to exhaust people today….I threw down 9 minutes running and 1 minute walking. They were a little taken aback…but game. They’ve both been running several other days during the week….and with the race only 2 weeks out…I figured it was about time to up the ante….again…I should have been working them harder…but just didn’t. But you know what? The hung on…did their 9’s and 1’s with NO complaints….rocked em out like we’ve been doing them all along. Makes me think I should have done this weeks ago…LOL. At the 1.5 mile mark Amy’s little one was kind of hanging back so I slapped my Garmin on V and told him to pace them the rest of the way…sticking to the 9’s and 1’s to the finish…and I stayed with her and walked it. Made me so proud to see him take off with these two grown amazing women and finish the run with them after he was ready to drop on the track…that’s my boy…through and through.


Beautiful Sunday…and on to the next. New PR for my 5K…..if V can get one…can’t I? Have a great week everyone!

4 comments:

  1. Wow...so cool! You are a bona fide coach and looks like V's got the skills too! I think it would be a great change of pace (no pun intended) to set a 5K PR. I mean you've been so focused on distance, it'd probably be pretty beneficial to switch gears.

    PS I give you like a heck ton of credit for running today. I can barely walk. I mean it's probably because of the flu aftermath as I haven't been able to eat (a "real" meal) since the Half, but still, I feel so weak! Haha! My body is absolutely done, and not only that, very angry with me too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No rest for the wicked..and lord knows that's me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you're doing awesome and you are SUCH a good inspiration for your kids!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails