Positive Energy Activates Constant Elevation



~RZA~

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Dragon Boat and the Long Run Take Two

So we had our final dragon boat practice last night….again..if you don’t know what dragon boat racing is, click *here*. It is a killer workout…but not the kind you’d think. It’s all abs and chest and back…your arms are really just along for the ride. It was good…felt positive and strong. Not that we’ll place or anything…there are professional teams there that are very serious…but it’s like running…you’re going to beat your time..not necessarily the other teams. But it’s a good time…and something to keep V off the streets and out of trouble. He loves it…loves to sweat and loves to work hard…at things he likes anyways….14 years old…good lord.



Going over my workout log this morning after logging my long run I noticed that I have not had a total rest day in over 2 weeks. Not sure how that happened…Friday is my rest day but I don’t count paddling for an hour and a half as much of a rest day. I feel good though..not burnt out…and Saturday is the start of my workout week. Tomorrow should be an easy day because I’m meeting Bruce and Paul and as new never run before runner….the pace should be non-existent.


Anyways…this morning was my second long run experiment. I got out late as in after 7 am but damn…I need to sleep on occasion..and I figured the worst it would be was hot right? I was going to follow the same plan as last week which was holding 11 minute miles the first 2 miles, sub-10 minute miles the middle 4 miles, and cool down with 11 minute miles the last 2 miles. It didn’t end up going quite that way…but I’m still pleased with the results. Here are the splits.


Mile 1- 11:04
Mile 2- 10:23
Mile 3- 9:47
Mile 4- 10:10
Mile 5- 9:40
Mile 6- 9:56
Mile 7- 9:52
Mile 8- 10:23
Mile 9- 10:11


Total Miles- 8.50


Average Pace- 10:09


I did it a bit different then originally planned. I upped my pace and 1.5 miles instead of waiting 2 miles…and then I kept my sub-10’s until I was about a mile from home…and I did 8.5 miles instead of 8 miles. But my average pace was faster then last weekend….and I did a half mile farther. But I was feeling strong….my only problem was being hot…and stopping every couple miles to stretch my Achilles on a curb.


So there it is…long run experiment take two. This is working….crazy huh? Hope everyone has a wonderful and safe 4th!!

1 comment:

  1. I wish you were with me this morning at my four miler!! I could have used your enthusiam to try and maintain a sub-10 pace, but as it was, I just got waaaay too hot.

    Dragon Boat Racing seems way cool. Gonna have to see if I can find anything like it a little north of you!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails