Positive Energy Activates Constant Elevation



~RZA~

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Gravel Marching for Dummies

Disclaimer: I really have no idea what I am doing. Like many..or most if you will…things in my life…I am winging it…and hoping for the best.



Preface: I started barefoot running for no particular reason except that I was mildly interested in seeing what it was all about…I ended up addicted. I tried it before I researched it…but after a bit..I went back and did plenty of reading. I was up to doing all of my runs except my longrun barefoot and was having a wonderful experience until I developed some top of the foot pain that scared the shit outta me. I still can’t leave it alone….but with marathon training looming…I’ve laced back up at least for the winter. But during my months of barefootness…I have managed to retrain the way I run to a midfoot strike…even in shoes. I live in Wisconsin…winter here is no joke..and I’m just not badass enough to loose the shoes when it’s say 6 degrees. But I don’t want to loose what I’ve gained during my excursion into the nekkid side…so even though there’s not much out there on it….I decided to try gravel marching over the winter as to not loose the thickness I’ve developed in the soles of my feet. It’s not pretty…but here it is.


The tools-


50 pound bag of basic gravel- purchased for 4 bucks at your local Menards/Lowes etc.


Dishwashing tub- purchased for 3 bucks at Walmart


Nekkid feet


Time

What I’ve been doing in the week or so I’ve been at it…is hopping my ass in there and marching.....for 5 minutes in the morning and 5 minutes at night. Like I said…I don’t know what I’m doing and someone PLEASE chime in if you have some ideas or tips. I plan on increasing my time over the winter and eventually getting some more heavy duty gravel…and as soon as I’m done with this marathon…loosing the shoes and attempting all the distances I’ve already done shod…barefoot. This is one of the many things I love about running..it’s ever changing. You can always try something different…make the old new…tweak tweak tweak until it’s your own.


It’s different then running barefoot. You’re not trying to be light on your feet. You’re pounding the gravel…actually marching in it..to toughen up your feet. Does it hurt? Some…but nothing I can’t handle…and the alternative of loosing something that I worked hard to get is just not acceptable to me..so there you go. It is also dusty…have a towel handy to wipe your feet off unless you want gravel dust all over your house.


So that’s my gravel marching in a nutshell. Happy marching!

4 comments:

  1. I love it! Over the summer, I saw someone doing this on youtube and thought that it was going too far. But now that I have crazily been conditioning my feet for cold barefoot running (something else I didn't think I'd do) and now that I know how proud I am of my conditioned feet and how much I would hate to lose it over the winter, I can really understand why you want to do this (and think that I might be the next victim.)

    I have been thinking of dipping socks in some kind of glue and then pressing them into sand, and then turning them inside out to wear with shoes so that when I have to put on shoes to run outside I will have something rough against my feet to keep them in shape.

    Now, that's a strange thought I never imagine I would have.

    Frances (aka "Barefoot Fresca")

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, you are a bad Ass! This goes right along with your quote at the top of your blog (which I LOVE btw)..."obsessed" is how the unmotivated describe the dedicated....I thought I'd type it for you just in case you didn't know the quote at the top of your own blog ;). No, really, great quote.. are those your words? I think that might have to be my FB status today. :) eh, that might just piss people off...nevermind...that's why my blog is so safe....a bunch of other obsessed, er, dedicated people are reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not my words...can't remember where I saw them...but totally applies doesn't it? Have at it lady..words are free...pissing people off...also free!

    Frances..I am loving your blog and dedication...I miss seeing the ground around here and can't wait to get my nekkid feet back on it when the snows gone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found your blog from Runninghood. Obsessed quote on your page is the best quote I have heard in years. I will be telling everyone I know this quote. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails