Positive Energy Activates Constant Elevation



~RZA~

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Marathon Recovery

The good thing about doing five 20plus mile runs is that a marathon doesn’t feel like that big of a deal. My ankle that tweeked on me during the race was sore for the next day…but other than that…it was kinda business as usual. I did yoga and walked on Sunday….I did yoga and walked on Monday…and now Tuesday….3 days post marathon…I got off of work early and went over to Lake Andrea and ran 2.6 beautiful barefoot miles…and came home and did yoga….and feel fantastic. It’s wonderful to find the joy and peace in running instead of worrying about time and distance. I will ease myself back into a routine over the next couple weeks but now that the marathon is over…I can work on my barefoot running for the most part. Lighthouse is my last big race I have on my schedule and although I had hoped to be up to doing at least the 4 mile race barefoot I don’t think that will be the case. And that’s ok I suppose. I have a score to settle with Lighthouse after last year and I suppose that will have to be shod. I want to try to get myself back to doing all runs except my long one barefoot…but I don’t want to set anything in stone…just kind of see what the summer brings me.

I have read plenty about getting kind of depressed after your marathon and I keep waiting for it to come but it hasn’t. I just feel relieved that it’s over. Am I happy with how it happened and my time? No….but I’m not going after it again any time soon. It served it’s purpose…I did what I wanted to do with my dad. I have other fish to fry right now…the marathon rematch can wait.


Tomorrow is a rest day…I still plan to keep my 6 day a week schedule…I’m too obsessed with yoga right now to do otherwise. I’ll lay off the long run till next week when I will probably start with my weekly 10 mile maintenance long run. Lighthouse is mid-June…and I need to do the dishes.


So how long is your weekly long run when you’re not training for anything specific?

4 comments:

  1. I do about 8-10 miles for my long run on the weekends when I'm not training. 12 if I feel fiesty! What's getting me right now is that two weeks post Eugene and I'm still FAMISHED! I could eat non-stop. Haven't gained any weight, but can never seem to eat enough. I ran 4 days after the marathon and haven't looked back.
    I can't wait to read more about the barefoot running.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so awesome you're right back on the horse so to speak! I know my personality just lets me relapse into laziness after a big race...as it's happened after BOTH half marathons. I don't like that part of my personality and third time's a charm...after this one I will NOT relapse into laziness and you'll be here to help me :D
    LIGHTHOUSE!! I'll be doing a ten mile run next weekend and I'm going to go super slow and see how it feels. But speaking of barefoot running, I can run up to 3 miles in my minimal shoes...I wish I could hand them off to someone mid-race!! Meanwhile, I agree with Michelle, I look forward to hearing about your barefoot runs too. It'll definitely motivate me to get back at it! But yeah, enjoy running for awhile!! (and yoga!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't figured out what my long run is going to be. I don't want to let it down too much mileage wise, just in case I decide to try another half-marathon to get that (%$#()%&#(%)#) 2:15 time. I'm thinking somewhere around a 6-8? Maybe a 10 at some point?

    Great job on the barefoot run! So glad it went well for you - and while that 4mi barefoot run might not be possible, I am POSITIVE that you are going to make Lighthouse pay some serious revenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, so glad you left me a comment. I'm anxious to read your blog and get more inspiration. Congrats on your marathon...most importantly you finished and can check it off your list!

    runningtobeskinny.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails