Positive Energy Activates Constant Elevation



~RZA~

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Ruud Rush 5K

~Spectator Style ~
The boys both decided to do this one. After missing his race he’d trained for the end of April Dom had sort of lost steam with his training. He had not run in almost a week and was trying to get out of it Friday night. I knew it was just nerves so I told him we would head over there in the morning…and if he felt like running…do it…if he didn’t…I wasn’t going to make him. I also told him that I would NEVER set him up to fail…and I wouldn’t let him race if I didn’t KNOW he was ready.



So we got up and headed over on the all of 5 minute drive. It was cool…just the three of us….like it was BEFORE Skip and BEFORE Tate. Like it would have been if Skip and I had never met…that part I don’t like.


We got there and I was amazed how big a set up they had. I knew T was going to be BUMMIN because they had tons of kids activities including but not limited to…a bounce house, cookie decorating, coloring, planting sunflowers. How cool. Lori my running buddy and her husband Mike were also running this one and we ran into them right away. Gave Lori the massage coupons out of the boys goodie bag. Dom thought he could use a massage but I told him he had a good 10 years before he needed a massage. So they got their bags…got bibbed…and were ready. Dom was nervous…Vincent didn’t really have any expectations. V had done NO training and this race was like triple the size of his last couple. Why did I let him run it? Dunno….I kinda blow like the wind sometimes….and I was morbidly curious to see what would happen to him and his time….sick…I know.


So we head over to the start. I had Dom go over by Lori and told V to get up front. They sang the national anthem and I was so pleased to see V with his hand over his heart when NO one around him did it. I went over in front of the start line….interesting to be on the other side…the gun went off and they were gone. I saw Vincent pass…but never did see Dom again till he was almost done.


The cool thing about watching a 5K that you know a number of people participating in, is that there’s not a whole lot of waiting around…especially when you have a fairly fast kid out there. I went to the bathroom….walked around a little bit…and before I knew it 14 minutes had went by and I headed out towards the 3 mile mark. Much to my surprise…..like you could have knocked me over with a feather surprise…the first runner was coming. He finished in a little over 15 minutes….Holy shit.


Sixteen minutes ticked by..and 17…and 18…and 19…and 20. Now I was kind of starting to worry. I didn’t even see Vincent. His last 5K was 21 minutes flat…and that was with some training….but I also know he’d gotten his mile time down around 5 minutes…but then again that’s gym class….and 1 mile is way different then 3.1 miles. Finally I spot him…my heart is in my throat. It’s what he’s meant for and it emotionally crushes me to watch him run….breaks my heart in the very best and worst ways. He hit’s the 3 miles mark and just GOES…passes every other runner on that stretch and crosses in 21:52.  His best? Heck no. But the only running that kid has done in the last year is 2 miles with me at my marathon two weeks ago….and a handful of little runs since this time LAST year. And he talks to me about football…ugg. He ended up taking 3rd for his age group of 15-19 year olds. And I realized something today..every race he’s done in the last 2.5 years he has either WON or placed in his age group. Makes me want to beat my head against a wall.


My neighbor Mike came in next followed closely by Lori who missed her goal time by 3 seconds but still a PR for this distance.


And now I wait. I wasn’t really sure what kind of time Dominic would run. From looking at his training runs on my Garmin I figured he’d be right around 12 minute miles…which would put him coming in around 36 minutes…plus change…maybe. So V and I headed back to the 3 mile marker again and watched for him. When we saw him I told V to stay and run him in…but to stay off the course…and I waited near the finish. So he runs in…RED as a freakin Tomato!! Looking like he is about to TOSS some cookies….crosses the finish at 36:02 and HURLS! Outstanding!! By the time I make it over to him he hurls AGAIN and the first aid people are huddling around him and he’s sitting on the ground. My boy…I always tell them it’s not a race till somebody pukes..and Dominic helped me out by doing just that.


We stayed for the awards. I figured V had placed but not taken his age group and I wanted him to have his medal. It was an awesome race for an awesome cause and VERY well put together. I could not have been more proud of my boys….they both put their BEST out there….one very prepared…one completely unprepared…which shows you the unfairness of running..LOL. Dominic crossed his first finish line as an official race participant and I knew I’d done the right thing when I see this posted on Facebook later….


• Dominic **cs
Ran my fist 5k today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i got 36 min which was my exact goal so i am very happy got a shirt and band and me and Vincent the cleptos we are stole a bunch of the freee stuff lol


Please ignore my child’s atrocious grammar….Dom…you can’t steal stuff that’s free.


And for your viewing pleasure…since I gave my marathon medal away…I got a little something to keep for my marathon.


Have a great weekend! and Yeah...it hurt

6 comments:

  1. Love this post about your boys...dear & near to my heart.
    And SO WEIRD...I was just thinking today that I'm ready for my next tatoo. The thought crossed my mind that it would be cool to get 26.2 on the top of my foot! LOVE YOURS!!!! The other thought that crossed my mind though was that it was going to freakin' hurt on the top! I don't know...you got me thinkin'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great minds think alike and all that!!! It did hurt...but it only hurts once :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tattoo!
    Your boys did really good too...congrats to them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome awesome AWESOME! V killing it yet again after barely training, Dom barfing at the end, your tatt...I'm all smiles over here!! It's hard for me to know exactly how it feels to see your kids make you proud, but when you write about it, I get a better idea :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love love love this post. Your boys did GREAT!

    And your tattoo rules - you have very pretty feet! (is that weird to say?) I keep thinking about putting 26.2 somewhere, but not my hideous feet, lol...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally not weird to say...they're pretty from running barefoot. I take way better care of them because I have to see them all the time!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails