Positive Energy Activates Constant Elevation



~RZA~

Monday, May 3, 2010

Mondays with Jari and Hair loss

I hate Monday mornings till I get that first workout of the week on the books. I know the week officially starts on Sunday….but…my workout week in my head starts on Monday.



I’m trying to find a way to do my strength training 3x a week to the tune of an hour each time…and over the last 7 days I’ve succeeded. I did an hour on Wednesday, an hour on Sunday before I met the girls and an hour this morning. I really don’t want to do back to back days of lifting weights but without changing my running days and having Skip get up with Dom more…I don’t see an alternative. I’m sore…but still standing…or sitting presently. I did cut back my mileage last week..to the tune of just under 25 miles..and it was good. My run Saturday morning was beautiful. Jeff bailed on me but it was sunny and bright and peaceful. V had a jazz band performance down by the lake and I left a couple hours early and met the family there when I was done. Then I met Amy and Traci at Lake Andrea Sunday morning and they were able to complete 3.7 miles!!!!! They’re planning on running the 4 mile race for Lighthouse in June and they’re already almost there. These girls continue to amaze me and fill me with pride.


So I have an appointment with the dermatologist tonight. When you have gastric bypass surgery…one of the side effects for the first 6 months or so can be extreme hair loss…due to the massive weight loss, malnutrition, etc. Well I had this side effect. I had beautiful, long curly hair that I ended up donating to Locks of Love when it started coming out by the handful. This is usually a temporary problem….and although it doesn’t fall out like it used to..for me…it either never grew back…or continues to fall out more then it should. I am pushing 3 years out from surgery so this ‘should’ have resolved by now. On that note…it has not..and it’s to the point that I am getting concerned that I will be a skinhead by the time I’m 40 if I don’t address it now. I’m going to print off my last set of labs at work today and bring them with me and hope this dude has a clue. I’m not deficient in any vitamins…my labs are excellent…as is my protein intake…so I’m at a loss. Skip of course…has decided that it is exercise induced…like asthma?...ha ha… I think this is a crock of shit but I told him I’d ask. Although who knows…maybe I’m producing WAY to much testosterone making my hair fall out like a dude…..extra testosterone would sure the hell explain a few things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It's funny...when you loose tons of weight...you really just exchange one set of problems for another...you obsess over different things because you can no longer obsess about your weight.

Hope everyone has a wonderful week.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I've never heard of hairloss as being a byproduct of GB - one of my best friends had the Lap-Band done a year ago...she hasn't had that problem either, or at least, not that she's told me. Huh. Anywa, I hope that they can help you out - though I have to admit, sometimes on those hot summer days going bald might be an improvement! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it happens as much with the Lap Band due to them not taking anything out. I had 150cm of my small intestine removed to produce the mal-absorption.

    The doc told me that I have 'typical female pattern baldness'...go me.

    Told me to buy the mens Rogaine and it'll take time but I should have very good results because I've gotten at it early. He also said that having the surgery probably just made something that was happening anyways....happen faster..or at least be able to see it faster.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gr...I can't imagine how frustrating this is...and good point about exchanging one problem for another set. It's strange that when you start running or do any kind of strenuous exercise, you do rack up other health issues like bad knees, asthma, etc. Seems like a contradiction! Life sucks that way. BUT!!! Aside from the hairloss, you are still healthier now than ever and that alone is awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails