Positive Energy Activates Constant Elevation



~RZA~

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Ugly long run and the Taper plan

Why are my long run days ugly and cold…and the day after…it’s beautiful and sunny? And why am I such a tightass that I won’t adjust my long run days when I know this is going to happen?


It was miserable out yesterday. I hit the road by 7AM and wanted to turn around by the time I reached the end of the driveway. With that being said…the fact that I completed the 13.1 miles is actually pretty good. I ran to the lake and back..and also hit Shopko so I could pick up New Moon for the kids. All the while I was heading east with snowysleet pelting me in the face, I kept thinking how this was my last REAL long run before the half…until I started doing the math in my head and realized that I actually have two more….a 13 plus next Saturday and a 10 miler the following Saturday. I’ve decided to start my taper after my long run next weekend. Cut my mileage by 25% the first week…and by 50% the week of the race. Keep my intensity up…but mileage down. That’s the plan…nothing loose about it. Most of my big taper week I’ll be out of town so this shouldn’t be too difficult….someone remind me I said that. Training/running has completely taken over my life…or as much as it can for a working mother of three. I eat, drink, and sleep running. I don’t think about much else…I analyze race strategy…plan my runs…go to bed WAY early. I’ll almost be happy when this is over…and I can go back to a more enjoyable running existence. My 3 other races I have planned for this year don’t require much. A 5K, a 10K and a 10 mile…no big….nothing past the 4th of July. That is…of course…as long as I don’t get a bug up my butt and decide to throw my hat in the ring for a fall marathon…but that is NOT in the plan.


Today was great! I met J and Traci at Lake Andrea and we did race distance….5K. That was the first time for either of them and they held up well. We ran 3 and 2 so they were able to complete it….and they were tired. Not to mention…it is ALWAYS windy out there for some reason….so that last mile was a bitch. Their assignment for the week is to run at least 30 minutes..2 other times…but try to increase the run/walk ration. J and I have a date to get her some running shoes on Thursday….her feet and knees are bothering her and I’m fairly certain it’s due to the fact that the shoes she’s been running in are older then my first born. I’m thinking we’ll try 4 and 1 next Sunday. I think I am more excited for them then I am about my half. By the time of this 5K my half will be 2 weeks behind me….and I will be able to run this…hopefully score a new PR…and watch these incredible ladies finish their first race. I plan to go back after I’m done…and run behind them screaming until they finish. Maybe not screaming…but running with them. I’ve explained what will happen…they know the coarse….they’ll be with friends…this should go off without a hitch. Can’t freakin WAIT!


In other news….there is no other news…and isn’t that grand? Just sitting around waiting to hear about Katies big run!!!

5 comments:

  1. Great job on your long run...despite the crappy first day of spring weather!
    How cool to be helping out new runners...it's gonna be such a fun race :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anne! I think that will be my favorite race to date!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are just so sweet!! But UGH. This run (especially because it came off a really bad Friday run) has me worried about the state of my body. I'm trying not to be a big o' wuss, but it was just SO painful! I mean breathing was fine, not nauseous or even "tired" if that makes sense. Just everything below my hips HURT and almost the whole time. I'm not doing something right. ANYWAY sorry to hijack YOUR blog for MY complaining ;)

    Like I said, you are such a trooper running in that crap yesterday SERIOUSLY. I lucked out as usually I do my long runs on Saturdays, but yesterday was my grandpa's 84th birthday shenanigans so I just didn't have the time (excuses haha!) Anyway, I like the sound of your taper plan. I'm officially now DONE with long runs. I have only 8 next weekend and 6 after that YAY! But I can definitely sympathize with looking forward to it being over. On the one hand, I was really obsessed with seeing the mileage go up, but after today, I feel like I've hit a wall. Anyway, that's just awesome you have this "side project" of helping out other newbie runners...I mean it's like a whole new way to feel good about the sport! I'd love to do something like that too. I've got about 3-4 friends who just started running (or running again after years of not) and I do enjoy encouraging them and giving them tips!

    Ok I better stop rambling here! Another good (albeit painful or soggy) week behind us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Long runs can be tough, especially when the weather is not so great. WOW 18 days until your 1/2 - good luck! ALSO I love your new page picture of you on the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck in your half! You'll do great cuz your hardcore girl!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails