Positive Energy Activates Constant Elevation



~RZA~

Monday, February 8, 2010

The taper...and another baby lost.

So they’re calling for a boatload of snow tonight..but so far..nothing. I’m hoping it will hold off so I can get my run in…..things are going well and I don’t want to lose momentum. My half is officially 60 days away and it’s got me thinking about a little word that’s new to me…and that word is ‘taper’. Do you have to do this for a half or is it really only needed for a marathon? The longest race I’ve done to date was Lighthouse last year which was 10 miles. So many things were wrong before that race…and the only thing I really remember clearly is my knee feeling like crap and not running for about 2 days before the race. I’d lost a ton of mileage over that winter and had only run 10 full miles twice before race day. Now that’s more than many of the half training plans I’ve seen…but between my knee going to shit and general mental unpreparedness..everything just sucked. So I know I have other readers besides my lovely ladies that comment….and I’m wondering if anyone has any thoughts on a taper before a half? Do you decrease mileage or long runs in the weeks leading up to it? Or just go light a few days to a week before? I’ve done some reading and have mixed reviews. Anyone? Anyone?



In other news…there was ANOTHER co-sleeping death in southeastern Wisconsin..and AGAIN…they had another child in bed besides the poor baby that died. That is either number 5 or 6 since right before Christmas. Do these people not read? Do they not listen to their doctors? After the second one they read about…or the third…or maybe even the FOURTH…wouldn’t you pause and say..’hey..maybe this isn’t the best idea?’ Prayers for that little angel..and the others that she’s meeting today….ugg.

4 comments:

  1. what is taper?? send me the snow please..
    Poor babies. poor poor babies..
    xoxo
    kc

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad about the babies.

    Taper is important! Yes! Do it. But it doesn't mean do nothing for two weeks before. I try to decrease the distance (not so much the intensity) of my runs about 2 weeks before. The week of I decrease a little more, putting in a short distance, higher intensity day the furthest from the race (so if your race is on a Sunday, do it the Monday or Tuesday before). It makes you like a horse chomping at the bit on race day. Well, that is what it does to me...Good luck!

    Cheers,
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Obviously I'm really curious about this too, so I'm going to check back later for more comments. Mandy's definitely got a point about "chomping at the bit"...I think we HAVE mentally prepared ourselves, and barring any unforeseen injury, if we take it a little easier (shorter) that week or two beforehand, it's like we're just aching to be released from that "cage" and do the race we've prepared for all these weeks!

    This co-sleeping situation really seems to be getting out of hand. My best friend did this with her little girl for the first 6+ months or so. I didn't like it so much, but I'm not one to tell her how to raise her child. She lives in IL though where these types of stories get diluted with the rest of the crazy Chicago news, so I'm not sure if she thinks about the dangers too often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies! Kel,, I think Mandys post summed it up nicely..and excellent advice! That's going to hard as hell for me to do...laying off...I'm really not good at relaxing ever or letting up...but I'll give it my best.

    Thanks gals!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails