Positive Energy Activates Constant Elevation



~RZA~

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Running Partners

So I guess I have one...and it's cool. This is J and my 5th run together...she's learning..and I'm adding that fourth run in a week that I needed. She's such a natural....I've got her talked into doing a 5K in April already..and she's going to be awesome. I truly hope she catches the bug because I think she'll be great. She's tall for one thing...so she has a long stride to her advantage...and she excels at anything she sets her mind to...another advantage.

The only other person I've ever run with and it's not been on a regular basis is my 13 year old son V. He ran my first race with me...a 5K that I'd trained for for a whopping 3 weeks...and he ran the entire thing..finishing not far behind his mama. I'll never forget that day... I ran it because my mom had been diagnosed with breast cancer..and she was walking it...and I wanted to do it for her....V ran it because I did...and discovered something he loved. He ran that same race with me a year later...and took 2nd for his age group...and 9th overall. He's run two years of cross country and this year finished first in every meet for his school...took 4th in allcity. He's a natural as well....his personal best 5K to date is just a hair over 22 minutes...little stinker. He doesn't mind getting up in the morning and running with me....but I've passed him in distance...so he can't stay with me on my long runs...but he'll pop off a 5 or 6 miler without much complaining. This spring will be his first running track....which I know nothing about...so I hope his coach is decent. He's built for speed...I think he'll be great.

So back to partners.....I've always been an exercise loner. Hate hate hate the gym. I'm there to work..not make friends...which is one of the reasons I didn't rejoin this winter. I prefer my own company to most anyone else. Alot of that came from before surgery when I didn't want anyone to see me...so I worked out at home.
But meeting up with her...and being able to catch up and not just shove earpods in and go...is good. I think I would have liked it when I started running if there had been someone that had a CLUE what they were doing. I learned from reading....and more importantly..getting out there and doing. But I love to see her progress....today we did 2 and 3..as in 2 minutes of running..to 3 minutes of walking. Next week it will be even slpits..2.5 and 2.5. It was 3 degrees and windy off the lake...yikes. We finished a 2.3 mile run in 38 minutes....today was the first time we broke 40 minutes...not bad at all. And I've been getting there 20 minutes early so I can lap it once before she gets there....good shit for all involved.

Anywayssss.....I hope she keeps with it...one..because she's good at it..and it's good for her...and two..because running with someone else..especially someone who so far from sucks.....can be a good thing..even for a running hermit.

In other news....Skip is heading to Madison to pick up the kids and spend the afternoon with the ex-husband watching the game. So I have a wonderful...no plan filled afternoon in my future...and I'm off to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails